Saturday, October 06, 2007

Passion for living

In the past few weeks I have watched parts of 2 old films as I have been trying to put the little lady to sleep and both have included some of my favourite actors, Julia Roberts and Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman, I almost literally droll over for his coolness and his charisma and presence on the screen. With Julia, it is her passion and her smile. Well, during the week I read an interview of Morgan and enjoyed learning a bit more about my almost favourite man. In his early years of acting, he struggled a lot with getting good parts and he muddled along until getting his first break as it were. To hear other actors rave about him and watch his performances, you would not think he had had it rough. And Harrison Ford has a similar experience to tell. In both cases, their passions kept them going in the faces of challenges, disappointments and difficulties.

Somehow it reminded me of the first year of being in England and how things were so strange to me and how lonely I was during the day with virtually no one to talk to. In an attempt to keep me occupied and my grey cells working, Michael paid for a basic accounting course for me. And yes, with my Maths background I was getting all the answerers right but was so bored and couldn’t understand why anyone would want to be an accountant. It was boring because there was no passion in there for me. It was just something to fill in the gap.

A few years later I read about a lady who was passionate about accounts and she explained it this way. “When I look at the accounts of an individual or a business it gives me a story about how money was been spent. A meal, an outing, books, investment, presents, etc, etc. I just get a thrill and a buzz from seeing how other people live and spend their money.” To say I was amazed would be an understatement. It was a light bulb moment for me. It just taught me that I had no business calling something boring when I had no passion for it.

If you do have passion for the things you are involved in, you somehow find the energy to keep going with it and you are energized when you talk about it or engage in this activity.

Just as the old adage says that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, I think a little passion each day will keep you youthful, hopeful and joyful.

God bless you all and enjoy your weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home