Thursday, September 06, 2007

Exasperation

Sometimes I get exasperated when people view me as a mother only or a wife only or as someone who must have loads of time on her hands because I am a stay-at-home mum. Yes, I am all those but I am also an individual, just as I was before I got married or had kids or made the decision to stay at home to take care of the kids. I am a writer and a teacher and I would sometimes love to be able to sit and prepare a lesson thoroughly or just be able to sit and read and write without interruption from kids or husband but that is rare. Unless I go on holiday alone or bundle the family up and foist them on someone with the capacity to entertain, I have to make do with the times I get. I do understand that very well but it is still frustrating sometimes when people expect you to be able to remember all things mundane and related to them just because they perceive you in a certain light.
It is making a lot of sense now why a lot of experienced writers say that if you do not take yourself seriously as a writer, no one will. It is true indeed, especially with family, both nuclear and extended, who see you in a certain light.
At least I have vented out some of that frustration over here and I hope to translate that into a longer article later on in the day.
I am a writer, I shouldn't forget that or minimize it. I am a writer by God's grace and giftings, Amen.
I am a writer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home