Friday, August 24, 2007

How goes your house?

Excuses are the nails used to build the house of failure.

This is a quote I came across several years ago that I used to quote to a friend; the ironic thing was that I didn’t learn the lesson then. I am now after several false starts and unexpected happenings.

Last week I met a friend in town who went to live in her native country this July; it was a surprise to see her in these parts because I had said good-bye to her the night before her departure. She was back to attend the funeral of her sister who had died suddenly . As I sympathized with her and she told me what had happened, she said one thing that I am still thinking about.

To give you a better background to this story, let me backtrack a little. This friend was one of the first I made when we came to England. We had our first babies together and lived on the same road so we got talking each time we met at the baby clinic. She was brought up here but always harboured the dream of going back to her roots in the West Indies. It was a dream shared by her husband and they periodically gave me updates about their progress.

Ten years from when I first heard of this dream, my friend has fulfilled her dream ( the exact timing she predicted) and last week as we spoke, she said her sister’s sudden demise had made it even more important to her to keep going for her dreams. Her poignant statement was that if those dreams and plans fitted in with what God had for you , they would fall into place.

I could not put it better and as I revisit my dreams again and again, I see the flaws in my execution and also the excuses I have used in the years to let myself off the hook. And I am learning that "ignorance is bliss" is not true in a lot of cases. ( Hosea 4:6)

It is a sad fact that a lot of us wait for something drastic and dramatic to shake us out of our complacency or out of the excuse zone before we pursue our passions. Remember my student who asked me whether I woke up each morning wanting to teach Maths and whether that was my passion? Her question still rings in my ears and I can still see the look on her face when she looked me straight in the eye to ask me about my passion.

In my case, I need to preach to myself and weed out the excuses that I tout up to myself and others so readily.

What have you done today to make you feel proud ? Stretch yourself a little and let your passion bless those around you.

God bless you all and enjoy your weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home