Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The two great passions

I have been very extravagant the past few weeks; I have been on a buying spree with books and have declared a fast which I broke today. I had declared a fast from spending some more this month because my reading is millions of miles behind the volumes I have been hauling in, but I was tempted in the library today by their very enticing book sale.

I must say that I smile rather smugly to myself when I look around me and see my books because some of them have been brilliant textbooks from the charity shops.

The two great passions in my life are writing and teaching and I have always said that the writing supersedes the teaching. At the moment though I look at my Maths textbooks and my eyes light up and gleam and in moments like these, I think the passion for teaching quite matches that for writing. I can hardly wait for an eager student who shares the same passion for Maths and is willing to work through example after example to come up with the right and satisfying conclusion. Just like I wait patiently for the great idea to percolate through which needs writing and will be a great work of art.

Bottom line: I must carve out more time for both these passions.

A day at a time and with much perseverance and faith, I do my best to fan them both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home